Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Art Journal Round Robin: Journal Spreads

My wonderful Art Journal Round Robin project with Danielle, Mary, and Janet is coming to a close!  Our own journals will be heading home to us in mid-July, and I am excited to see the varied art that will fill the pages that were sent off so plain and blank just months ago. 

Here are my latest contributions to the last two journals I have worked in for our exchange:
My clippings from Austin publications have found their way into my index card art and postcards, and as you can see here (above), they've found a place in my art journaling as well!  I also included some clippings from a Seattle magazine I picked up when I visited there last fall.   I also raided my decorative tape supply, my circle cutter tool, and my micron pen for journaling, lettering, and a bit of flower doodling.  My journaling reflects on the creative and individual spirit of both Austin and Seattle, and questions whether we might be able to bring a bit of that wonderful spirit into our own communities.
For this spread, above, I raided my stash of small collage elements to create a border around the page, completing it with some hand-drawn lines.  The sentiment lettered at center comes from a song we sang at church on the day I completed this page:  "On Christ the solid rock I stand...All other ground is sinking sand."  Having that solid foundation brings confidence to my days!
This spread (above) has a bit of a mail art vibe to it.  I used one of the envelopes procured at the Allentown Paper Show with its authentic air mail stripes, postage stamps, and cancellations.  I used more clippings from my stash of small collage elements, along with circle stickers from the office supply shop and some air mail-themed decorative tape. 
For the pages above, I was clearly inspired by Patty Radish in the latest edition of Art Journaling by Somerset Studio.  Her article was the piece that clinched the purchase for me; spending $15 on a magazine is not done without good reason and a great deal of forethought!  I loved her color scheme; her use of photos, paint, text, and tapes; and the way she highlighted the faces with painted circles. 
I used acrylic paint and some pieces of French text to create my background.  I added photocopied photos and lots of decorative tape to my design.  Then, I used a milk bottle cap dipped in acrylic paint for my circles, and an old driver's license card to apply the straight lines of paint on each page.  And, of course, you can see my bubble wrap circles in French vanilla! 
Even though this is a completely derivative spread--based on someone else's ideas and not my own--I absolutely love it!  It suits my style so completely, was great fun to create, and gives me a lot of pleasure just to look at.

I'll be sure to show you all of the completed pages of my Round Robin Art Journal as soon as it returns to me in July!

********************************************
I am linking up with Aimee's Glue It Tuesday.  Visit her blog to see more gluey goodness!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your journals, they are so full of energy and life!
Cheers
Gabrieie 5

Anonymous said...

I love love love the old photos. I have a stack of old family photos I would love to use. However, my ink seems to run with the matte medium I use. What type of glue do you use?

Anonymous said...

sounds exciting to fill journals and to receive on filled by someone else! I'm curious to see what you will receive :)
Cheers, Jana

aimee said...

my favorites are "Hello You" and "Special Delivery"! Awesome project!

Patricia said...

How fun!! A journal round robin - what a cool idea! Love your pages here...especially Hello You & Special Delivery! Lots of fun to look at!

VivJM said...

Your journalling is looking ace. I especially love the mail art inspired pages.

Deborah Weber said...

The mail arty pages really delight me. And how fun the round robin project is moving along so nicely. It'll be wonderful to see your returned book.

Parabolic Muse said...

Are you in the icad group on Flickr? I would lilke to follow you.

I LOVE Hello You and the one with the Special Delivery strip on it. These are great pages. Lots of layers and texture with the rings and paint.

Joyfulploys said...

Hi Andria...those journal pages look familiar! I'm going to kind of miss making a deadline. I love this journaling style you are doing.
Mary

Joyfulploys said...

Hi Andria...those journal pages look familiar! I'm going to kind of miss making a deadline. I love this journaling style you are doing.
Mary

storybeader said...

that's a neat idea - to pass off and then return each others journals. Each page is so different here; just thinking of how your journal will be, with someone else's art in it. Gives me goose-bumps! {:-Deb

Naomi said...

These are amazing! So full of life and color.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the pink circles.
Rinda

Marit said...

Oh WOWZAH, what a great and whimsical collage-journal pages!! I love these! Thanks for the inspiration and happy ~ belated ~ Glue it Tuesday. Hug from Holland

TheSnailMailer said...

I just picked up your blog not that long ago and linked it to mine. How the heck have I never heard of the Allentown Paper Show??? I live in Easton/Bethlehem. Serendipity you mentioned it!

betsy said...

Love your journal pages. Especially love how you used the pink circles with photos.
I've never heard of the Allentown paper show and I live in Allentown! ha!

Unknown said...

Dear Andria, Thank you so much for all your kind words about my art journal! I love your "mail art" pages! Thanks again, Patty Radish

Dianne said...

wow. your journal spreads are fabulous! I really love the old mail feel...

Textile Recycler said...

All I can say is WOW!

Terrie said...

I've wanted to try a round robin myself and your pages are inspirational. Your swappers are going to love their pages. Each spread is so different and so very cool. Great job!