Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Glue It Tuesday: Austin Edition

When I visited San Antonio two weeks ago, my family and I traveled to Austin to spend Saturday with my husband's cousin and his kids.  I have a long-standing love for the city of Austin.  The city that absolutely enchanted me as a high schooler and college student still has power over me as a 40-year-old woman!  I love the vibe of the place; it feels independent, healthy, and creative.

One of the many amazing things about Austin is the absolute abundance of free publications.  We went to lunch at the Marketplace, and I walked out of the cafe with at least eight free magazines and newspapers.  In addition to the longstanding Austin Chronicle, there were publications for cooking, parenting, healthy living, spirituality, women's issues, and independent businesses.  Many of them have fabulous illustrations and photographs, which make perfect collage fodder for art journaling and postcards.

I didn't buy any pre-printed Austin postcards, so here are some originals I created from various clippings from the free publications.
Wouldn't these small business owners and employees be amused to know that they've found their way onto a Philadelphia woman's postcard and blog?
I can't seem to get this one turned around the right direction.  I used  decorative tape along the edges and a patchwork of tiny tea box ads, along with some scrapbooking trim.
This one might be my favorite, with all kinds of images from the magazines collaged together, and inked edges.
This one is kind of fun, too, with the Austin skyline and ubiquitous Texas boots.
These postcards will soon be on their way to mail art friends around the country!

24 comments:

aimee said...

these are great and I love the tea ads! my next glue it project is tea-ful too -- already working on it!

Naomi said...

What fun and whimsy you thought up! I'm inspired to try something like that too. I adore Austin too! I went to college there... I had very little choice. My parents, who both went there as well, started taking us there once a year, showing us the campus, and telling us "this is where you'll go to college." And I also love all the publications. Book People is my favorite place on earth. Did you get to go there?

Anonymous said...

love mail art and these are wonderful! some lucky people will be holding them in their hands soon!
~Dawn

Textile Recycler said...

Love the whimsy!

iHanna said...

Fun idea, and awesome postcards. I'd take one of those before a pre-printed one any day. :)

Deborah Weber said...

What a great idea to create your own postcards from local ephemera - and what a delightful job you've done. The tourism board of Austin should hire you. ;-)

Anne said...

Wow, your postcards are ever so much better than the commercial ones! I love the cowboy boots -- reminds me of that big boot by the mall!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through
Google, and found that it is truly informative.
I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Here is my web-site www.sportsbet.com.au

uncustomary said...

I love the last one, but I'm IN love with the second one.

betsy said...

These are great postcards! (Much better than the ones you can buy! ;) My fav is the Social hour.

Shopgirl said...

You did great, I bet they would like yours!!!!

April said...

What a great tribute to Austin and awesome way to document a trip. My favorite is the one with the compass rose too. It captures how you describe Austin, "independent, healthy, and creative."

storybeader said...

I like the buy local! Great idea! {:-Deb

Susie said...

these are all wonderful and a great tribute to buying local. YES

Maria Ontiveros said...

Wow - love both the second and third ones! Happy GIT!
Rinda

Marit said...

Ooooohhh... what a wonderful cards you made from the clippings from the free zines! I bet the locals would LOVE it!

Tina said...

I love the "Social Hour" and the tea ads! The Social Hour lady looks so 1920s to me, which I love! It's always inspiring to me the way you see the possibilities in all of the images - it makes me view everything as art fodder!

Adriann said...

You are so clever! I love the red boots. You've inspired me to make some postcards. I've already made a batch a cards to send out. One of them has your name on it. ☺ Enjoy your weekend!

Joyfulploys said...

Hi Andria...What a fun way to use advertisements, etc. for your postcards. Fantastic collages!!! My husband went to high school in SA and college in Austin...that was probably before you were even born :)
Mary

Beverley Baird said...

What a great way to remember your trip - homemade postcards! Love those red boots!

Parabolic Muse said...

LOVE. Love these! I've never been to Austin. Look at those boots! I love the blue collage, and the others. This really brings to mind what I have heard from friends about Austin. I hope to go there soon.

Parabolic Muse said...

Hi, Andria.
I was just reading Dawn's blog at Girl Unwinding, and I commented after your comment.
Then I figured I'd click on your name to zip to your blog. And it wasn't your blog at all. It said it was drawingnear at blogspot, but it was not your blog.

I don't know if you want to click on that link in that comments section to see for yourself. I just wanted to let you know.

I came over to my blogroll and got your blog right from the link there. yay!

shouseson said...

this contact formimage source have a peek at this web-sitehelpful site my review hereyou can try this out

botado said...

this contact formreview find more infoClick This Link HomepageWeb Site