Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Index Cards: The Home Stretch!

The Index-Card-a-Day Challenge at Daisy Yellow ends with the last day of July, which means that we are in the home stretch!
ICAD #49
Nurture Your Inner Child
I am continuing to create collage sheets (which I have used on some of my previous index cards), so this card was created when I was in the midst of pairing an illustration from a children's book with a piece of sheet music.  I added the sentiment with my Dymo label maker, and thought this would make a nice series of postcards and/or ATCs.

ICAD #50
Buttons
I have been collecting pretty buttons for just a little while now.  Though I sometimes find them at clearance prices, I have also found that if I buy just one or two buttons each time I go to the craft store, I don't "feel the pain" of the cost quite as much!  For this index card, I just arranged some of my buttons on the copy machine, then glued down the copy to an index card.

ICAD #51
Mercy Droppeth
This index card also uses the collage pages I have made.  I cut out the image of the child with the umbrella and rick-rack came from one collage page, and glued it down onto a different collage page, then printed out the words from the computer.  The quotation comes from Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice:  "Mercy...droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven."

ICAD #52
Passport
I used clip art of a passport (from Paper Art Workshop:  Handmade Gifts) for this index card, then added tissue tape at the top and bottom as well as a couple of cancelled international stamps.

ICAD #53
Untitled
For this index card, I layered a napkin over a page of French text.  I've used this technique on art journal pages before, and I always think it looks so pretty!

ICAD #54
Foreign Lands
This index card contains a very mediocre drawing using a mediocre pen, based on illustrations by Alice and Martin Provensen in Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verse.  I love their whimsical illustrations, especially the various buildings in foreign lands, but I can see now that it takes a great deal of skill to pull off seemingly "simple" or "child-like" drawings!  I tried adding color with marker to one drawing, and felt like it really messed it up, so redrew it and left it black and white.  I think it would look nice with some watercolor, but the pen I used wouldn't allow for that.

Just one more week of cards to go for the official ICAD challenge!  Tammy is encouraging everyone to continue some sort of daily art practice in the coming months, whether we do index cards, postcards, ATCs, inchies, journal pages or some combination.  For the month of August, she will offer a Daily Paper Prompt to keep the ideas flowing. 
Be sure to check it out!

11 comments:

Anne said...

This set of cards is exceptional! I love the button idea, really love the collages from the children's book -- very very nice.

Carin Winkelman said...

Beautiful cards! And...you have a lovely collection of pretty buttons!

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

"DARLING" cards, Andria! :]
Congratulations, on completing this project...
HIP, HIP, HOORAY! ~xx

VivJM said...

Super cards. I love the whimsical buildings especially. Can't believe it's nearly the end of the challenge already!

Janet said...

All your ICADs look great but I especially like the last two...the one with a napkin and the one called Foreign Lands.

You must feel a sense of accomplishment to have completed this challenge...almost!

Heather said...

I love the buttons! I have a button collection myself, but yours are so very much more interesting than mine. And the idea with the napkin is also quite good. I love to collect pretty napkins, but then I never know what to do with them. Thanks for the idea!

DocAngi said...

All your ICADs are lovely...I especially love the buttons and the passport cards! Great work!

scrapwordsmom said...

That button card is very clever!! I love all your work...I am so happy to have found Tammy thanks to YOU! She is very inspiring:)

I haven't kept up each day with the cards but I LOVE them and plan on creating a few a week for a long time. They get me to thinking and I love that!!:)

Currie Silver said...

Really nice to see the diversity of your cards and those buildings remind me of James Rizzi's wondrous work!! EnJOYed visiting your site, too.

Bree said...

Those cards are just lovely! Very creative. I myself collect buttons too, hmmm...maybe I can do something like that. Thanks for sharing those wonderful art pieces! :)

Dianne said...

awesome index cards...I love buttons too, but like the 'passport' card too!